Chipotle Chili is the BEST Ever!
Yields 10-12 servings
Prep Time 30 min
Cook Time 2 hr
Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 slices thick cut bacon (6 strips if using regular bacon)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, chopped (Note...2 peppers not 2 cans!)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 46 oz. can V-8 juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon (optional)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream (you can substitute plain yogurt)
- Green onions, finely sliced
- In a large pot, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Transfer the meat to a bowl. Drain any grease from the pot and add the bacon. Cook until firm but not crisp. Remove all but 2 Tablespoons of fat from the pot and add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, Chipotle peppers, and parsley and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are fragrant and softened (about 5 minutes). Turn heat to low and add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until combined and saute on low for 2 more minutes.
- Put the ground beef back into the pot. Add the V-8 juice, bourbon, molasses, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans and black beans to the pot. Slowly bring to a boil and then turn heat down to medium low, cover with some venting and simmer for 2 hours; stirring occasionally. If sauce needs to thicken a bit, remove lid and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm with cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions.
Slow Cooker: In slow cooker, saute beef, bacon and vegetable before combining in a crockpot with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.